Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I get laid off?

It is your responsibility to contact the office at (781) 321-6616 so that your name can be placed back on the out of work list.  Make sure that you update your telephone number with us so that when work becomes available, you can be reached.  It is not the steward or foreman's responsibility to put you back on the list when you have been laid off.  

What is the out of work list?

The out of work list is a running list of members that are currently unemployed.  As work becomes available, members are put back to work by their rank on the out of work list based on the type of job and capabilities.  You can call the office at (781) 321-6616 anytime to see what number you are or to speak with a business agent.  

What do I do if I am certified or licensed in a special skill?

Please notify local 22 of any licenses or skills that you hold so that we can update your file.  For example, if you have taken any classes that awarded you with a certificate or license, such as a 40-hr Asbestos course, you would notify local 22 of your newly acquired license.

What holiday's are observed by Local 22?

New Year's Day, President's Day, Patriot's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day

When am I considered vested in a pension?

You vest after you have earned five pension credits (five years), provided you have earned 250 hours in 1998 or later.

When am I considered vested in an annuity?

You vest after completing 100 hours of covered employment during a calendar year.

How many hours do I have to work in order to receive health benefits?

Your eligibility to participate in Plan A or Plan B for each 6-month Eligibility Period will depend on the number of recorded hours of employment you accumulate with one or more contributing employers within a period of 12 consecutive months as follows:

  • Plan A -1,000 recorded hours within a 12-month Qualifying Period = coverage during a 6-month Eligibility Period
  • Plan B -700 recorded hours within a 12-month Qualifying Period = coverage during a 6-month Eligibility Period

How do I get Legal services?

Legal services are provided based on the fact that you have eligibility.  If you are unsure, please contact the legal services office at (781) 273-3939 or visit their FAQ section at the Massachusetts Laborers' Benefit Funds website.

How can I find out more information about my benefits?

The Massachusetts Laborers' Benefit Fund has a wealth of information on their website.  You can also contact them by phone at (781) 272-1000.

How many days can I go before I am at risk of being suspended?

You have 60 days to make a payment from the month you are paid through before you are in jeopardy of being suspended.  If suspended, a readmission fee will be applied.  

What do I do if I have a change of address/phone number?

Contact the union hall as soon as possible so that your information can be updated in the computer and with the International Union.

How do I receive my new union book?

In order to receive your new union book, you must make a payment into the new calendar year.  For example, if you are currently paid through December 31, 2015, you must pay for at least the month of January 2016 to receive your new union book.  If you made a payment in 2015 that put you through to 2016 and you have not received your new union book, please call the union hall at (781) 321-6616 and we will be happy to mail it to you, otherwise, books paid through 2016 will be mailed out at the end of March.

How do I find out what number I am on the out of work list?

There are two ways to find out what number you are on the out of work list.  First you can call the office at (781) 321-6616 and we'll be happy to relay that information to you.  The second option is to come into the office and see the list which is posted in our lobby and updated each day.  

How do I register for classes at the New England Laborers' Training Center?

The class schedule is available on the homepage of this website and is usually updated at the beginning of each month.  You can also find the schedule by clicking here.  If there is a class you are interested in taking, call local 22 at (781) 321-6616 and we will be happy to set that up for you.  You cannot register for classes on your own.

How much do I pay for union dues?

If you are a journeyman, your dues rate is $35.00 per month.  If you are a retiree, please contact local 22 at (781) 321-6616 for your dues rate.

When is the regular union meeting?.

The union meeting is held the first Wednesday of each month at 5:00 PM (unless otherwise noted) at the Casa Lucia Function Hall, 61 Lucia Ave, Revere, MA 02151.  Only local 22 members (apprentices, active and retired) are welcome at the meeting.

Can I freeze my union book?

No.  The only time you can take a leave of absence without paying union dues is if you are deployed with a division of the military.  If you are being deployed, please contact our office so that we may notify the International of your services and take the proper steps to reserve your spot with local 22.

I am applying for a loan/mortgage/refinancing.  Who do I list as my employer?

When applying for a loan, mortgage, etc., or when refinancing, you should list your current employer as the company that you are working for at the time of filling out paperwork and not Laborers' local 22.  Due to the nature of construction jobs, members work for various contractors/companies for various amounts of time. You are a dues paying member of the local but not an employee.  Local 22 does not pay you each week, the company you are working for pays you, making them your employer.